Monday, May 21, 2012

Candace Reviews Glimmer by @phoebekitanidis

Glimmer by Phoebe Kitanidis
Hardcover, 352 pages
Published April 17th, 2012 by Balzer + Bray
Source: Gift

Description from Goodreads:

What if you forgot your identity and had to rely on other people to tell you who you were?

And what if to discover your true self, you first had to unravel a mystery so big and terrifying you were not sure you’d survive solving it?


When Marshall and Elyse wake up in each other’s arms with zero memory of how they got there or who they are, it’s the start of a long journey through their separate pasts and shared future.

Terrified by their amnesia, the two make a pact to work together to find the answers that could jog their missing memories. As they piece together clues, they discover they’re in the idyllic mountain resort town of Summer Falls, where everyone seems mysteriously happy, but as Marshall and Elyse quickly learn, darkness lurks beneath the town’s perfect facade. Not only is the town haunted by sinister ghosts, but none of its living inhabitants retain bad memories of anything—not the death of Marshall’s mom, not the hidden shame in Elyse’s family, not even the day-to-day anguish of high school.

Lonely in this world of happy zombies, Marsh and Elyse fall into an intense relationship...but the secrets they uncover could be the death of this growing love—and the death of everyone, and everything, they love in Summer Falls.

My Thoughts:
I actually read this book well over a month ago but it's still pretty clear in my head and that's definitely saying something since I read so much.  It was just such a unique story line it's not one you easily forget.  While the super strong impression is fading it's one I recommend when people say they are looking for something different.  This one definitely fits the 'different' category.

Right away I loved that I had no clue what was going on.  Normally I'm not for that, but it worked very well for this story.  Since we just see from Marshall and Elyse's point of views we only know what they know.  And since they know absolutely nothing, then we don't either.  And we are with them as they unravel this mystery.  As they discover this very weird town and all the secrets it has hidden.  

I loved the characters.  I loved the setting.  I loved the unique story line.  The writing was brilliant and the entire thing came together in a way that pretty much blew me away.  I very highly recommend this book!

Find Phoebe Kitanidis:

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book as a gift.  All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

This review was written by Candace
Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of childrens books. You can find her on her blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.