Saturday, June 2, 2012

Candace Reviews Chasing Brooklyn by @Lisa_Schroeder

Featured Author for the Week - Lisa Schroeder


Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder
Hardcover, 412 pages
Published: January 5th, 2010 by Simon & Schuster
Description:

Restless souls and empty hearts.

Brooklyn can’t sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca died a year ago, and now their friend Gabe has died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there, waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca chasing her through her dreams.

Nico can’t stop. He’s always running, trying so hard not to feel the pain of missing Lucca. But when he begins receiving messages from his dead brother, telling him to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.

Review first posted on my blog at Candace's Book Blog
Lisa Schroeder's writing is so beautiful and everything flows so well. Yes, it's verse, but she manages to make it a story and it gets right down to the grit of it. Although it's different from poetry it is as beautiful as poetry and flows as well as poetry, but is easier to read. Nothing is cryptic, it's all laid out on the table. I've never heard a bad review of Lisa's stuff and I honestly don't think she could write a bad book if she tried. She just has a way with words that is simply... beautiful.

Chasing Brooklyn is a companion to I Heart You, You Haunt Me but has completely different characters with only a few brief appearances of Ava from I Heart You. You could easily read it without reading the other, but I enjoyed the brief appearances and they were very touching. Knowing what Ava went through made it more special.

Now I've already said I loved this book, but I do have to say that I don't think I loved it as much as I Heart You, You Haunt Me. It may have been the setting (I read almost the entire thing in the car while traveling) but it didn't hit me as hard and quite as emotionally as I Heart You. I actually managed to hold the tears back (yeah, they welled up, but they didn't spill over!) and with I Heart You I think I was bawling. That one had hit home a bit closer for some reason too.


I've said it a million times, if you haven't read any of Lisa's books you really must! And right now we have a giveaway of The Day Before going on, so make sure you don't miss out! You can find it HERE.


Disclosure: All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way. This book was purchased by myself!

This review was brought to you by Candace:
Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of children's books. You can find her on her blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.