Sunday, June 3, 2012

Far From You by @lisa_schroeder Review

Featured Author for the Week - Lisa Schroeder



Far From You by Lisa Schroeder
Hardcover, paperback and e-reader editions
Published: December 23, 2008 by Simon & Schuster
From Goodreads:

'Lost and alone...down the rabbit hole.

Years have passed since Alice lost her mother to cancer, but time hasn't quite healed the wound. Alice copes the best she can by writing her music, losing herself in her love for her boyfriend, and distancing herself from her father and his new wife.

But when a deadly snowstorm traps Alice with her stepmother and newborn half sister, she'll face issues she's been avoiding for too long. As Alice looks to the heavens for guidance, she discovers something wonderful.

Perhaps she's not so alone after all....'


The story starts off with Alice being woken by her dad to let her know that she will soon be a big sister.  Alice is very much an unhappy teenager, still grieving her mother and very much any adjustments that she needs to make in order to be happy in the new family her dad is creating.  A good portion of the beginning of the book is great as we get to know the characters and the relationships between everyone.  I felt I knew everyone pretty well.  I would say in some verse books it is hard to acclimate this easily to who everyone is and how they work together.  This book was great because I was drawn in, in fact I started this on the way to church and was hard pressed to stop reading to get out of the car to go in!

We meet everyone Alice is close to in the beginning before her family takes a trip which changes her entire family dynamic. The trip is the main focus of the story along with Alice finally getting to a place of healing and hope.  The trip Alice goes on is one we all hope we never face.  I can't imagine making some of the decisions that had to be made, but I can definitely feel for the characters when they reach a breaking point.

There is a huge story going on in this book.  I have to say without writing spoilers it's a very difficult book to review because I want to share with you all the emotions I went through and tell you why I went through them.  BUT I want you to read this book and discover those same feelings for yourself without my ideas in your head.  So PICK THIS BOOK UP and read it.  And then come back and tell me what you thought too!!

Tomorrow we will have an interview with Lisa Schroder, so stay tuned to see what Lisa has to share with us!  And on Tuesday, we have the preview of Lisa's next book 'Falling For You'.  Don't forget to check out the giveaway we have going for 'The Day Before' by Lisa as well!

Find Lisa Schroeder on her Website/Blog and on Twitter.

Disclosure: I borrowed this book from the library for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.