Thursday, July 19, 2012

Heidi Reviews Revived by @seecatwrite

Revived by Cat Patrick
Hardcover, 336 pages
Published: May 8th, 2012 by Little, Brown

As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life.

A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency’s true goals, she realizes she’s at the center of something much larger—and more sinister—than she ever imagined.

This review will also be published at Rainy Day Ramblings.
 Daisy heads outdoors to enjoy the warm weather. A run around the track for P.E. starts
off pleasant, but soon Daisy feels the quick sting of a bee. Immediately she dials for
help on her cell phone and then collapses. Surrounded by a sea of faces, she thrashes
uncontrollably and then goes limp. Her eyes slide shut as her body is loaded into the
ambulance, and then she dies.....Daisy awakens to Mason's face. It is time for another
move. Mason is her guardian along with Cassie. The three of them are part of a top
secret program that utilizes a drug called Revive. This wonder drug has limited abilities
for bringing people back from the dead. The implications for this miracle drug of course
are far reaching and dangerous. So Daisy must live in secrecy. She has died several
times. After each restoration, she must move immediately and change identities. Her
life has been pleasant despite the hinderances. But when she arrives in Omaha, things
change. She makes a new friend and feels the butterflies of a first love. Of course,
when things are going well, disaster strikes. Suddenly Daisy is questioning the drug
and everything she has known. Is Revive truly a miracle?
What I Liked:
• I appreciated Ms. Patricks's writing style. It is simple, easy and it flows. I appreciated
how things that were discussed early on in the story that seemed insignificant later
resurfaced and played an important part of the story.
• I enjoyed Daisy's character. Despite her past she is well adjusted and likeable. I liked
following her as she yet again finds her way in a new school and makes new friends. I
especially enjoyed watching her experience her first butterflies of love.
• I was intrigued by the idea of a drug that can return people from the dead. The drug
has limited applications, such as: it cannot restore people who are terminally ill or
those with severe injuries. Imagine the possibilities of such a drug, the far reaching
implications are mind boggling and a bit terrifying, when you consider the drug in the
wrong hands. This is an interesting concept and I liked exploring this idea in Revived.

Revived is a book that explores the possibilities and implications of man playing God
when he is in control of a drug that can restore life. Imagine what could happen if
people were brought back from death! The idea is exciting and chilling. This book also
takes you through the fluttery feelings of a new first love and then drops you down into
the depths of loss. Revived is a quick and entertaining read with many thought
provoking ideas.
Favorite Quotations:
"My jerking limbs are like venomous snakes to the students forming a circle around me:
The kids jump back in fear. I gasp with my entire body but only one rationed breath
comes through."
"The principal shows up and tries to contain the crowd, but they're like magnets, drawn
in by the thrill of someone's misfortune."
"Her voice is sugary sweet like a doughnut this morning."
"In the halls we're in color and everyone else is in black-and-white. In the noisy
cafeteria, I hear everything he says as clearly as if I'm wearing earbuds and he's my
playlist."
"There's something about spending time with someone who's known you forever. It's
effortless."
I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. All opinions are my own

Disclosure: I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. All opinions are my own and I received
no compensation for this review.


This review was provided by Heidi:
I am a recent transplant to the rainy, region of Portland, Oregon; thus the reason for my blog Rainy Day Ramblings.  The many rainy days here provide me ample time to snuggle up under a comfy blanket with a cat and read while the rain drips down my window.
I also, when I find time, enjoy baking, candle and jewelry making, cross stitching and spending ample time with family.
Find me on my blog, facebook, and twitter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.