Friday, August 24, 2012

Candace & Heidi Review Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Girl of Nightmares (Anna #2) by Kendare Blake
Hardcover, 336 pages
Published: August 7th, 2012 by Tor
Source: Publisher

It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.

Heidi's Thoughts, also published in a complete review at Rainy Day Ramblings.
  • I was thrilled to see all of the cast from Anna Dressed in Blood not only return for the sequel, but all of them have a more significant role.  I was excited to get to know Morfran a bit better in this book. He is so interesting and entertaining, I think Ms. Blake could write an entire book in his voice.  Thomas and Carmel are back as well, and this time they are Cas' ever present helping hands in ghost hunting.  Carmel is fierce, funny and headstrong, while Thomas is loyal and helpful with his spells and mind reading abilities.  I enjoyed the way Thomas was always sneaking into Cas' head.  I was delighted to see that Thomas and Carmel were a couple, although their relationship status was not thoroughly detailed. 
  • I liked that this book gives us a bit more insight into the anthame.  The reader learns of its origins and more about its powers.  
  • I appreciated Cas' growth.  He is resolved to putting down some roots in Thunder Bay, accepting the help of his new friends, and determined to do the right thing.  I liked that even under duress he refuses to kill ghosts that are doing no harm, despite the objections of the Order.  He sticks to his guns and doesn't give in.  I also admired his determination to see things through with Anna, even if that meant a huge sacrifice.  Cas has quickly become one of my favorite male leads, next to Ethan of The Caster's Chronicles.
  • I love that this series steps away from love triangles and cliff hangers.  Both books have neat resolutions with dangling threads for new possibilities.  I am not sure if there will be a third book in this series, but if there is, it will certainly take a new direction.  I personally hope the series continues, as I want to see Cas get his happy ending. 
  • I love that this book is peppered with funny one liners and numerous witty comments. 
  • On a side note, the cover of this book is absolutely stunning. I love it!

Candace's Thoughts, also published at Candace's Book Blog.

Cas is such a great character, and in Anna I absolutely adored him and his awesome inner snark (and outer snark as well).  And I was pleased to have him back even though it was toned down by his depression.  I still got plenty of giggles from the things he said and thought. 
I'm not a fan of horror.  So why the heck did I read this series?!  Well, I read Anna because everyone was raving about it, I couldn't resist.  Then I was surprised that it didn't really scare me and Cas's hilarious snark kept me reading.  I ended up loving it.  And then I had to read this one, of course.  It still had some parts that I wouldn't want to read at night, but it really wasn't too bad.  After reading some reviews I thought maybe this one would be really mild on the horror end of things, but while it was different, there were still plenty of horrific ghosts and 'monsters' making appearances.
I definitely recommend you pick these books up!
Disclosure:  The book was provided by the publisher for review.  All opinions expressed are our own and we were not paid or influenced in any way.

Find Kendare Blake on her website.

About Heidi:
I am currently a stay at home mother of two toddlers, who keep me very busy. I also have a wonderful, supportive husband without whom this blog would not be possible.  I am a recent transplant to the rainy, region of Portland, Oregon; thus the reason for my blog Rainy Day Ramblings.  The many rainy days here provide me ample time to snuggle up under a comfy blanket with a cat and read while the rain drips down my window.
I also, when I find time, enjoy baking, candle and jewelry making, cross stitching and spending ample time with family.
Find me on my blog, facebook, and twitter.   
About Candace:
Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of childrens books. You can find her on her blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.