Saturday, August 18, 2012

Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors

Featured Author for the Week - Suzanne Selfors

Next week 'The Sweetest Spell' comes out! In celebration we will be featuring Suzanne Selfors for the week. Today I'm reviewing Coffeehouse Angel. Make sure you check in each day for more reviews and an interview with Suzanne Selfors!

Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors
Paperback, 304 pages
Published November 9th 2010 by Walker & Company



Description from Goodreads:

'When a random act of kindness involves Katrina with Malcolm, a handsome teenage guardian angel intent on fulfilling her greatest wish, fame and fortune seem like the most obvious requests. But after two botched wishes, Malcolm knows Katrina is hiding something from him. How can she tell him the truth, when her heart's desire has become Malcolm himself?'

If I remember right I saw this book in the window at the library.  My local library has a teen room with big glass windows where they put feature various books in the window on one side and audio books in the other side.  I am always checking out the books in the windows because honestly, covers matter to me.  I admit that if the inside summary looks uninteresting to me I won't read it but usually covers are what grab me first.  The cover on my library copy is actually not the cover shown above.  The library copy has a teen girl holding a coffee with a teen guy in the doorway behind her.   Plus the summary looked interesting.  

Katrina is a slightly stressed teen girl who works in her grandmother's coffee shop.  This shop is frequented by a group of older gentlemen who come in for the same food every day.  Katrina's grandmother is against change so they have none of the newer coffees ie. espresso, etc.   And this has created an issue as there is a newer hip coffee shop next door that claims to use organic free trade coffee.  The next door coffee shop is also continually trying to get Katrina's grandmother to sell.  He wouldn't only be buying the coffee shop but also the upstairs apartment where Katrina and her grandmother live.

This story starts off with Katrina walking out into the alley to take the trash out and finding a young man dressed somewhat shabbily in the alley trying to sleep.  Katrina is frightened thinking he may do her harm but ends up putting a coffee and some day old danishes outside for him.  This gesture of goodwill ends up being the good deed that keeps our possible homeless teen in Katrina's life.  

This story is a contemporary but has some magical elements.  Ever read a book about magical beans?  Well this story has magical coffee beans.  I loved that Katrina was granted wishes and that Malcolm, who is the young man she found in the alley turns out to be an angel.  This story was a fun read and I definitely recommend all of Suzanne's books.  


Disclosure: I borrowed this book from the library to read.  I was not asked to review this book. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.