Thursday, August 2, 2012

Heidi Reviews The Farewell Season by Ann Herrick

The Farewell Season by Ann Herrick
ebook, 150 pages
Published: November 11th, 2011
Source: Author

Description from Goodreads:
Eric used to think he'd live forever, but not any more. As football season starts, he hopes he can live normally again after the death of his father, but his refusal to face his grief results in anger at his coach, fights with his sister, resenting added responsibilities, and disillusionment with football. It takes a special relationship with a girl dealing with the divorce of her parents to see he is angry with his father for dying and the way to get through grief is by grieving.

Eric wakes in a fog. It is the first day of football practice for his upcoming senior year.
Eric has always had big football dreams, but now his enthusiasm has waned. He feels
lost, like he is just going through the motions. Nothing is right since his Dad was killed
by a drunk driver four months ago. Eric struggles to get back on track. At football
practice, there are some changes, a new coach, a retiring coach and a vacant seat in
the bleachers where is father used to sit. As the weeks go by, Eric contemplates
quitting, but an unexpected friendship with a girl who is also dealing with the break up of
her family, might just help him clear the fog and learn to live again. Will Eric pursue his
football dreams and find a way to cope with his grief?
What I Liked:
• I enjoyed reading this book through the eyes of a troubled teen boy, as he flounders to
make sense of the world after a horrendous loss. Eric has not come to terms with his
father's death, nor dealt appropriately with his grief. Thus, it is as if he is trying to
paddle his boat upstream without a paddle. I loved all the emotions that were
depicted as he struggles to learn to live again.
• I enjoyed all the secondary characters. Glynnie, the new girl, is shy yet she is able to
see through Eric's brave veneer and provide an unexpected shoulder to cry on for
Eric. I like that she, too, is coping with her own troubles. Most of all I like that the
relationship between them blossoms into a nice, strong friendship with the potential to
perhaps turn into something more. It is just perfect. Next, I adored Rolf. He is Eric's
long time best friend. He is sweet, amiable and full of enthusiasm! I loved his
ravenous and healthy appetite as well.
• I could completely relate to the complicate sibling relationship between Eric and his
younger sister Kristen. It is one of those relationships filled with constant teasing and
antagonism and one where Eric as the older brother fails to see his sister as more
than someone to antagonize because he is so wrapped up in his world. I could totally
relate as I was the younger sister, constantly teased. As the book progresses, I liked
the way things ultimately played out between the two.
• I liked that the author obviously did plenty of research on football in order to bring an
accurate picture of what players go through in order to train for an upcoming season. I
do love football, but I admit I am pretty clueless as far as knowing all that an athlete
does in order to properly condition and strengthen their bodies for a grueling season.
It was interesting to learn about the preseason preparation.

The Farewell Season is a realistic look at how a teenage boy copes with the devastating
loss of his father. An unexpected friendship and an old love for football help him slowly
shake away the heavy fog that encompasses his life. The reader undergoes a poignant
journey as a young man slowly learns to handle his grief and live again.

Favorite Quotations:
"I'd thought I was a man, so strong and macho, but I never felt weaker than when I saw
Dad's casket lowered into the ground. I couldn't stand the idea of him being in the
cemetery."
"I did not add, Give me a break....doesn't everyone who writes think he'll write the Great
American novel?"
"I was floating in a foggy sea of emotions. Maybe if I just gave one big kick, I'd hit dry
land."
"Her long slender fingers were warm and surprisingly strong as they gripped mine. It
was as if she'd thrown me a rope. For a moment, I held on tight."
"When I really thought about it, I realized that I had rushed into things with Trevor and
was really more in love with love than anything...or anyone."
"But sometimes life is unfair and you can't change it. That's just the way it is. All you
can do is change how you react to it."
"So life is not always fair. But the choice is there to make the best of it and keep our
hopes high."

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
All opinions are my own and I received no compensation for this review.


Find Ann Herrick: Website

This review was provided by Heidi:
I am currently a stay at home mother of two toddlers, who keep me very busy. I also have a wonderful, supportive husband without whom this blog would not be possible.  I am a recent transplant to the rainy, region of Portland, Oregon; thus the reason for my blog Rainy Day Ramblings.  The many rainy days here provide me ample time to snuggle up under a comfy blanket with a cat and read while the rain drips down my window.
I also, when I find time, enjoy baking, candle and jewelry making, cross stitching and spending ample time with family.
Find me on my blog, facebook, and twitter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.