Monday, August 20, 2012

Join us as we interview Suzanne Selfors


Featured Author for the Week - Suzanne Selfors

Tomorrow 'The Sweetest Spell' comes out! In celebration we have be featuring Suzanne Selfors for the week. Today we interview Suzanne and learn more about her!  Make sure you check out the preview weeks worth of posts that review her other books!



Can you tell us about 'The Sweetest Spell' in 10 words or less?
Lowly peasant girl + chocolate = magical love story.


What kinds of jobs have you had besides writing?
Fresh out of college I owned a video production company for a few years with a friend, then I worked at KCPQ television in Seattle, and then as a Marketing Director for a nonprofit. To get through college I worked as a children's photographer, a Nordstrom sales associate, and a prep cook.


This or That: Milk Chocolate or Dark Chocolate?

Dark.


What kind of research did you have to do for your books?

Every single book requires research. For my Smells Like Dog series I read a lot about map-making. When I described Homer jumping out of a plane, that required research, though I chose to interview jumpers rather than attempt the feat myself. When I created the character of Rocky the Marmot for Fortune's Magic Farm, I went to a wildlife shelter and played with a Raccoon, the closet thing to a marmot I could find. (see attached photo)


What is your favorite thing about living in the Pacific Northwest?

I love green. Whenever I go away and come back, the first thing I see is all the green. We are so lucky to have all these trees. This is the most glorious spot in the world.


If you could time travel when and where would you go? Why?

I'm a Shakespeare nerd, so I'd definitely want to meet William, and get a definitive answer on whether or not he wrote the dang plays!


What is your favorite book of all time? Give us a short description of it.

Don't have one. No way can I choose one. But I will tell you that I love every single book written by Roald Dahl. When I read his stories, I feel as if he's writing just for me. He also wrote some great adult stories, quite steamy actually. Check them out.


Are your characters based on real people?

Some are. My father is in a number of my books. And so are my kids. And the character of Katrina, in Coffeehouse Angel, is semi-autobiographical. And there are two villians based on real people but I'm not going to reveal who they are.


What can we expect to see in the future from you?

After The Sweetest Spell comes out in August, my next book is Smells Like Pirates. It's the 3rd book in the Smells Like Dog series. Then, in 2013, a new series begins called The Imaginary Veterinary. I'm really excited about it. It will be for young readers.
I'm trying to save time for an adult novel. I have an idea that's knocking around in my head.

How much input did you have on the covers of your books?

Almost zero. I usually get a jpeg asking if I like the cover, but mostly the decision is made by the publisher. I did have a huge say, though, in the new covers for Fortune's Magic Farm and To Catch a Mermaid. And I love the Sweetest Spell's cover.




Thanks Suzanne for answering our questions!  We are so excited for 'The Sweetest Spell'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.