Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Sweetest Spell (Released today) by Suzanne Selfors

Featured Author for the Week - Suzanne Selfors

Today, 'The Sweetest Spell' comes out! In celebration we have been featuring Suzanne Selfors for the past week. Today I'm previewing 'The Sweetest Spell' for you. Make sure you check the previous days for more reviews and an interview with Suzanne Selfors!



The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors
Hardcover, 416 pages
Expected publication: August 21st 2012 by Walker & Company

Welcome to Anglund, a fairy-tale kingdom where chocolate is only a legend.
Emmeline Thistle, a dirt-scratcher's daughter has escaped death twice--first on the night she was born, and second, on the day her entire village was swept away by a flood. Left with nothing and no one, Emmeline discovers her rare and mysterious ability--she can churn cream into chocolate, a delicacy more precious than gold.
Suddenly the most unwanted girl in Anglund is desired by all. But Emmeline wants only one--Owen Oak, a dairyman's son, whose slow smiles and lingering glances tempt her to believe she might someday be loved for herself. But others will stop at nothing to use her gift for their own gains--no matter what the cost to Emmeline.
Magic and romance entwine in this fantastical world where true love and chocolate conquer all.
Wow...this book...is AMAZING.  I could not put it down, well I had to because I was at work, but you know what I mean.  Emmeline is a young girl with a few things against her.  First she's a dirt-scratcher, which means that she lives in a place that only works the fields for their livelihoods.  She also has a deformity and was left for dead in the field when she was born.  Emmeline really grabbed my heart.  I wanted to give her a hug and be her friend.  There were actually several characters I felt had a great attitude but it was definitely fun to see the evil characters and figure out the little mysteries surrounding what they may have said or done to cause beliefs in townspeople or even another character.  One of these mysteries is how the dirt-scratchers came to be and why they were treated as they were.

This story was perfect from beginning to end.  The ending closed off the story enough that I could imagine how things would go for Emmeline in the future.  The beginning was helpful in setting the story up for the magic that would occur later for Emmeline.  There were definitely some trials for the two main characters here, but I was drawn into the story and hoping that everything would turn out all right.  This story is told not only by Emmeline but also a male character.  You will have to read it to find out who!

I really enjoyed this story because everything wasn't easy for the characters.  I appreciated the thoughtfulness that went into the characters back stories so that I had a true feeling of who different people were.  It was also great that while there were a number of characters, I had an easy time recalling who each one was at any given time.  Sometimes stories have so many characters I have to go back and check to see who someone is.

I can't wait to see what Suzanne writes next for Young Adult because I will be first in line to buy it!

Find Suzanne at her website.

*Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for review purposes for this Feature Week. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.