Thursday, September 27, 2012

Candace Reviews Hold Me Closer Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lisa McBride
Paperback, 343 pages
First Published January 1st, 2010

Description from Goodreads:
Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he's doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

This review may also appear on Candace's Book Blog in the future. 

I love books told from a boy's POV.  I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's just that it's different and not as common for some reason.  I also love when the character has an awesome personality and Sam most definitely does!  He's a normal guy who has fears and will even hide from things that scare him, but if he's found it certainly doesn't keep his tongue from wagging and those snarky words to come out of his mouth.  And oh my, he says some pretty hilarious things!  I loved that about him.  I loved that he felt real with his weaknesses, but yet he didn't let them rule him.  He had his own voice and he used it.

The book has some humor but it wasn't as humorous as I thought it would be. It's much more serious and dark but the humor that is there helps balance it a bit so it's not too dark.  Sam definitely goes through the wringer and I was surprised how far things really went.  But I liked that surprise factor that just kept popping up as I never really knew how things might go.  

This is one of those books that felt equally character driven and plot driven.  Both were very strong and I loved that.  While there were a lot of characters I felt like each one had a very strong and unique personality and I felt like I really understood them.  The plot was pretty fast paced as I flew through the pages eager to find out more and to see Sam through every scrape he got himself into. 

There's a touch of romance but it's really only a touch.  I felt like it was perfect because guys definitely shouldn't be concerned about that aspect and us girls get that romance that we seem to crave in books.  It's definitely something that I hope to see explored more in the next book.

This is a YA book but the characters are 19 and Sam has actually dropped out of college.  Keep the age in mind when it comes to appropriateness for the reader.  There's some violence and gore, a tad bit of language and there's sex (though it fades out). 

I really enjoyed this one and am so glad that the second book, Necromancing the Stone is now out!

Find Lish McBride on her website.

Disclosure: All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of childrens books. You can find her on her blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.