Monday, October 29, 2012

Candace Reviews Crimson Rising (Skyship Academy #1) by Nick James

Spoiler free review of Book Two (for one and two), but the description may have some spoilers, so you may want to skip that.
Crimson Rising (Skyship Academy #2) by Nick James
Paperback, 360 pages
Published Sept. 8th, 2012 by Flux
Source: Purchased

Our best-selling sci-fi series continues

Following their dramatic showdown in Seattle, Jesse Fisher and Cassius Stevenson find their world’s been turned inside out. The faculty at Skyship Academy is keeping Jesse a prisoner in his own home, fearful of his influence over Pearls. And Cassius, once a loyal Pearlhound for the Unified Party, has been pushed into hiding, fearful of his government's retaliation.

When Jesse smuggles a mysterious red Pearl onboard the Academy, he sets loose a destructive chain of events, which lead him to a reunion with Cassius and a confrontation with Theo -- a bloodthirsty Pearlhound with a dangerous secret.

But a larger threat looms in the stars. An enemy is gathering, with plans to exterminate the entire human race. And Jesse and Cassius might just be the lynch pins that trigger mankind's destruction.

It was  probably two months since I read the first book but it was about right amount of time between the two because I still remembered everything but I wasn't burnt out on the world (which tends to happen to me).  This one starts out about 4 months after the last one ended and we get a little caught up with what everyone has been up to before the story really goes crazy.  I want to keep this spoiler free for the first book (the description is a bit spoilery though) so I'm going to be very vague.  Also, please note that this is a series you will definitely want to read the first book first.  Going into this second one without the first will just confuse you as there's too much to cover for the author to really rehash much of it.

I really enjoyed the characters.  I won't say I loved them, but I did like them.  And I think I may have liked Cassius more than Jesse this time around.  Jesse seemed very angry and determined, I guess.  He has a mission in mind and he's not all about sitting around doing nothing. Cassius hasn't had a chance to sit around as he's been on the run but as he goes through all this crap I really felt for him.  He grew up in a situation that pretty much makes it so he doesn't know who or what to trust.  He's pretty much on his own in figuring things out.   I felt like Jesse was more the impulsive one and Cassius was a bit more cautious.  Both of them were very brave and did what they needed to do though.

What really shines in this series is the world.  The world building is incredible!  The post apocolyptic sci fi stuff was brilliantly done.  I was able to picture and imagine everything so well, it was almost like a movie in my head. 

These are definitely great 'boy' books and I'm looking forward to getting my nephews to read them as I think they will love them! And they are also clean, I totally won't hesitate to give them to my 12 year old nephew. 

Find the author: 

Disclosure: I purchased this book and all opinions expressed are my own.


Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of childrens books. You can find her on her blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.