Friday, October 12, 2012

Candace Reviews Sprinkles and Secrets by Lisa Schroeder


Paperback, 224 pages
First published: Sept 20th, 2011 by Aladdin

In this companion novel to It's Raining Cupcakes, twelve-year-old Sophie has a dream come true when she's offered a TV commercial spot. She's not just happy about the opportunity, she's over the moon happy!

But then she finds out what exactly she'll be advertising: the delectable, ever-popular brownies from Beatrice's Brownies, which just so happens to be the number one competitor to It's Raining Cupcakes, a cupcake shop owned by her best friend, Isabel's, family.

Sophie has a tough choice to make: Follow her dreams or crush her best friend. What's a girl to do?

I just finished doing a reread with my daughter with this one and realized I hadn't ever reviewed it the first time through.

This is a companion novel to It's Raining Cupcakes and features Sophie, Isabel's best friend. We get a good bit of Isabel as well and learn whether she won the cooking contest in NYC.

In this book Sophie has acquired an agent and is trying out for a commercial. But this commercial is for a company that could put Isabel's families cupcake shop out of business, so what does Sophie do? How can she even tell Isabel? This puts loads of pressure on her and she struggles to figure out the right thing to do.

I absolutely love every Lisa Schroeder book I read and her middle grade books are no exception. She creates the most realistic sounding characters that you can't help but completely adore. I loved Sophie and her family and friends as well. She has an adorable little brother who just loves anything outer space and their interaction was loads of fun!

Since I read this one aloud I want to mention that Sophie's voice is very easy to read and free flowing. I absolutely loved reading this one to my kids!

Find Lisa Schroeder on her Website.

Disclosure: I purchased this book myself.  All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of childrens books. You can find her on her blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.