Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mel previews The Originals by @seecatwrite

The Originals by Cat Patrick
Possible Release date: May 7, 2013
Published by: Little, Brown Books
Pages: 304
Source: ARC from Bookstore

17-year-olds Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey Best grew up as identical triplets... until they discovered a shocking family secret. They're actually closer than sisters, they're clones.

When Ella meets Dave and Lizzie meets Sean Kelly the sisters and their mother have to choose who will date and who will miss out. As the relationships develop, Lizzie realizes that she's not a carbon copy of her sisters; she's an individual with unique dreams and desires, and digging deeper into her background, Lizzie begins to dismantle the delicate balance of an unusual family that only science could have created.


The Ending:
This surprised me!  I was happy and excited to find out what happened because throughout the book I wondered what the outcome would be for the girls and their mom.  There were definitely some moments throughout the book that made me wonder if this would be a series or if the ending would be something that would freak me out or if I'd love it.  Have to say I loved it.  There was the right amount of conflict that I sat down and read this straight through.  I wanted to know what happened right away.

The Characters:
Lizzie's point of view in this book reminds me of being her age.  I could feel how much she loves her family even with the decisions each of the girls and their mother make.  Their mom drove me a bit nutty but she is a good antagonist.  Going against the girls and what they want for what may or may not be a valid reason.

What I Loved:
Sean Kelly.  I loved Sean.  I don't think I have anything more to say about this.

Overall:
Betsy, Ella and Lizzie are all courageous and fun characters.  While this storyline felt complete, I could quite happily sit and read books based on Betsy and Ella's perspectives of their future endeavors.  I wish I am excited about reading Cat's other books.  In fact I have 'Revived' and I'll be reading it soon!  I highly advise you pre-order The Originals today!




Heidi reviews 'Revived' by Cat Patrick HERE and check yesterday's post for Candace's review of 'Forgotten'.


If you want to read more like this:

'The Lost Girl' by Sangu Mandanna and 'Slated' by Teri Terry


Disclosure: I picked up the ARC of 'The Originals' at the bookstore I work at. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

This review is by Mel:

Mel is a bookaholic as well as loving music. She just recently moved to the Portland area from the Midwest and has been enjoying exploring the whole area, including the Coast and downtown Portland. She has been blogging at Shot in the Arm since May 2008 but has had a couple other blogs before that at various places around the web. Young Adult is her favorite genre but she loves to read most other genres including Romance, Fiction, Sci Fi and some Historical Non-Fiction. You can find her at her blog, her twitter and on Goodreads. Stop by and say hi!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.