Friday, February 1, 2013

Candace Reviews Scarlet by Marissa Meyer @marissa_meyer

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer
Hardcover, 464 pages
Published: Feb. 5th, 2013 by Feiwel and Friends
Source: Amazon Vine
 Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.

As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.
 This review was first posted on Candace's Book Blog.

 Spoiler free for both Cinder and Scarlet.
When I read Cinder back in the fall of 2011 I was a bit unsure about it.  I mean Cyborgs, an alien race a futuristic society... it all sounds strange.  But when I read it I completely fell in love.  It was so much more than I expected!  I think it may have started my quest for all things strange and different and ever since I have found myself more open minded to anything sci-fi 'esq.  But then I had to wait forever for Scarlet and I was afraid that I may have forgot a lot from Cinder or that it would be the dreaded middle novel where the story barely progresses.  I needn't have worried.  I know that reviewers are saying that Marissa Meyer is a genius and not only does she create a perfect 'middle' book, but she weaves in new characters and new story lines seamlessly.  I have to agree.  I wasn't sure how Scarlet could be a main character while Cinder's story still progresses.  I promise you, you get an amazing new story that weaves in with Cinder's perfectly.

I loved the new characters introduced.  Scarlet is brave and bold and totally kick butt.  She's determined to find her grandmother, no matter what.  And Wolf was a character that you don't know what to make of.  He's one your not sure if you should trust your instincts, but yet you kind of do.  Well, I did anyway.  There's also another character introduced that definitely lent a lighter tone to things.  And Cinder is just as brilliant as always.

The romance was lovely.  It may have happened quickly time wise, but it was perfect.  And not much actually happens other than some strong emotions which are very present on the page.  I think the broken boy is easy to fall for even when you're not sure if they are good or bad.  You just can't help but feel for them.  

I definitely urge you to pick this series up if you haven't already.  If it just sounds too strange for you, try it anyway.  Trust me, lots have said they didn't think it would be for them and they walked away loving it!

Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes.  All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.


Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of childrens books. You can find her on her blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.