Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Karen Finneyfrock stops by to talk to us before her new release @finneyfrock

Karen Finneyfrock is the author of  'The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door' on February 21st.


So Karen, when did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

As I kid, I read so much that I actually got in trouble. Well, not trouble exactly, but my mom had a talk with me about how she and my dad were concerned that I wasn't coming out of my room and into the "real world" enough. That was when I knew I wanted to be a writer.

Haha that sounds an awful lot like me as a kid!


So what is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I'm at my best when I'm on a retreat. Then it looks like: get up, make a BIG pot of coffee, write for four hours, eat, go for a walk, read by a window, dinner. When I'm at home it looks like that with more interruptions for email.


I always wonder what authors love to eat while writing, so tell me what is your favorite writing food?

Did I mention coffee? Also frozen blueberries right out of the freezer. So crunchy!


I've read your new book, and I'm wondering what you are working on next for us?

I'm finishing up my second contemporary YA fiction novel for Viking Children's Books. The tentative title is, "Starbird Murphy and the World Outside." I'm also editing a poetry anthology.

That sounds really exciting! I can't wait to read about Starbird!


When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I suppose I wrote my first mess of an unreadable book at 34. That's the "practice novel"that will never come out of the drawer.


What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I'm obsessed with Zumba and try to go three times a week. I also go to poetry readings, hang out with my boyfriend, eat sushi and go to estate sales.

Oh lovely! I've always wanted to try Zumba.  It looks fun and intense!


What jobs did you have when you were a teen?

I was a drink-cart-girl at an elite country club where the Presidents play golf. I worked in parks during the summer and played games and made crafts with neighborhood kids. I make mean spin art and lovely hand-woven pot holders.


Are you a morning person or a night owl?

I'm writing this response at 11 p.m.

We can be best friends.  I'm always staying up late writing reviews and reading books.


What's the most embarassing fashion trend you followed when you were younger? (feel free to include a photo)

I grew up in the age of "feathered" haircuts. If you're not sure what I mean, check out this image:http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cute-hairstyles.org/wp-content/uploads/5_feathered_hairstyles_from_the_80_s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cute-hairstyles.org/4317/feathered-hair-styles/&h=581&w=550&sz=40&tbnid=6Q9CtnlFASvS1M:&tbnh=96&tbnw=91&zoom=1&usg=__u-eeql1YPyRF50767Nx1lyTlUic=&docid=2aahm8K1kIMrCM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yHMkUZ71LoWsiALpjIDICw&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAQ&dur=4708

Sadly, I don't have a photo of myself with a feathered haircut because none exist. I was born with exceptionally thick, pencil straight hair which rudely refused feathering, and instead fell down my head in obvious chunks like a set of stairs. But I never stopped trying all the way through middle school.



So one last question, what book from 2012/2013 would you recommend us reading after we read 'The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door'?

I'm currently reading Jodi Lynn Anderson's Tiger Lily and absolutely loving it! The language is so poetic that all the poets-at-heart will fall in love.


Thanks to Karen for stopping by.  You can check out her new release tomorrow right here where we will have a review!  And stop by Karen's site, find her on Twitter and also on Goodreads.

3 comments:

  1. I love the title of this book and the tentative title for her next. They are quirky and fun and make me want to read the books! I actually have this one and after I read what I'm reading now I hope to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of Zumba so I'm always happy to hear that others love it. I also really liked The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace - I can't wait for the next book. You need to read this now!!

    Bookworm - Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.