Friday, February 8, 2013

Mel reviews Devine Intervention by @mbrockenbrough

Devine Intervention by Martha Brockenbrough
Released on: June 1, 2012
Published by: Arthur A. Levine
Pages: 304

There is a great legend of the guardian angel who traveled across time and space for the human girl he loved, slaying those who would threaten her with a gleaming sword made of heavenly light.

This is not that story.

Jerome Hancock is Heidi Devine's guardian angel. Sort of. He's more of an angel trainee, in heaven's soul-rehabilitation program for wayward teens. And he's just about to get kicked out for having too many absences and for violating too many of the Ten Commandments for the Dead.

Heidi, meanwhile, is a high school junior who dreams of being an artist, but has been drafted onto her basketball team because she's taller than many a grown man. For as long as she can remember, she's heard a voice in her head - one that sings Lynyrd Skynyrd, offers up bad advice, and yet is company during those hours she feels most alone.

When the unthinkable happens, these two lost souls must figure out where they went wrong and whether they can make things right before Heidi's time is up and her soul is lost forever.

The Ending...well it made my cry.  I loved the ending.  In fact, in my head I thought of what would happen after the ending.  It was nice to think of what might happen after...well the end of this story.  I won't ruin it for you but it surprised me and I loved the surprising quality of it.

Heidi - She is me.  She is a normal average girl.  YAY for someone who isn't the prettiest, smartest, most athletic girl.  Finally we have a story about a real girl.  And Jerome, well he's a regular, normal guy who has made huge mistakes and is trying to 'help' Heidi.

If this book were a guideline for Guardian Angels I don't think I'd want one.  With rules for Guardian Angels such as:
Thou Shalt Not Complain About Being Dead, Thou Shalt Not Coved the Food or Drink of the Living and my favorite, Thou Shalt Not Inhabit the Bodies of the Living, it really makes me wonder what types of situations I might find myself in if my Guardian Angel talked to me, led me to do the wrong things or even wandered off when I ended up needing them most.  I do not want a Guardian Angel who takes over another person's body and I end up in trouble.  Course I also do not know what I'd do with myself if I could hear my Guardian Angel, whispering in my ear each day.  Can you imagine it?

I am laughing remembering how funny the incidents are in this book.  I cracked up at a number of events I would hope to NEVER find myself in.  Course it wasn't all laughs.  Heidi remembering past incidents in her life with her friend Megan, was embarrassing for me!  The incident that embarrassed me was one that happened early on in the book.  It reminded me of when I danced in competitions and how not everything works out the way you think it will before you go out on stage.

My favorite twist on this book is the back and forth of Jerome's side of the story versus Heidi's.  I loved seeing Jerome's motives and thoughts.  And Heidi was easy to relate to, although I definitely did not have a Guardian Angel speaking to me as I grew up.

I want you to read this book.  If you have, tell me what you thought.  If you haven't, HELLO hop to it.


Disclosure: I bought a copy of Devine Intervention to read for my enjoyment. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

This review is by Mel:

Mel is a bookaholic as well as loving music. She just recently moved to the Portland area from the Midwest and has been enjoying exploring the whole area, including the Coast and downtown Portland. She has been blogging at Shot in the Arm since May 2008 but has had a couple other blogs before that at various places around the web. Young Adult is her favorite genre but she loves to read most other genres including Romance, Fiction, Sci Fi and some Historical Non-Fiction. You can find her at her blog, her twitter and on Goodreads. Stop by and say hi!



2 comments:

  1. Ever since the author read from this at Wordstock I have wanted to read it. It sounded pretty hilarious. But it sounds like it has some serious moments as well. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I saw her again here I was like...I SERIOUSLY need to get around to reading that book. I have a huge stack of bought books that are languishing in their hiding spot. haha

    ReplyDelete

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.