Monday, February 11, 2013

Mel reviews Torn by Stephanie Guerra

Torn by Stephanie Guerra
Released on: May 15, 2012
Published by: Marshall Cavendish
Pages: 263




Stella Chavez is your classic good girl: straight As, clean-cut boyfriends, and soccer trophies . You’d never guess that Stella’s dad was a drug addict who walked out when she was a kid. Or that inside, Stella wishes for something more.

New girl Ruby Caroline seems like Stella’s polar opposite: cursing, smoking, and teetering in sky-high heels . But with Ruby, Stella gets a taste of another world—a world in which parents act like roommates, college men are way more interesting than high school boys, and there is nothing that shouldn’t be tried once.

It’s not long before Stella finds herself torn: between the best friend she’s ever had and the friends she’s known forever, between her family and her own independence, between who she was and who she wants to be.

But Ruby has a darker side, a side she doesn’t show anyone—not even Stella. As Stella watches her friend slowly unravel, she will have to search deep inside herself for the strength to be a true friend, even if it means committing the ultimate betrayal.

The Ending: The ending of 'Torn' completely surprised me.  I did not think it would end as it did.  There were several ideas I had for what could happen and none of them did.  I enjoyed the ending and I think it will grab you.  The idea that Ruby has is devious and awesome.  I admit it, I clapped.  She was hilarious about how she tricked some girls.  No spoilers!

While I really enjoyed this book there are definitely scenes that were tough to read.  Tough because Stella was making hard decisions to save her friend and putting herself out there in new for her situations.  Ruby is not the easiest person to be friends with but Stella is a stick by you friend.  The other tough thing was seeing Stella basically leave other friends out of her life in order to be friends with Ruby.  Although it was tough it was realistic circumstances.  High school friendships sometimes change rapidly and I groaned at a couple of incidents that happened between the girls.

My favorite thing in this book was Stella being strong.  Mind you she was led a bit astray by Ruby, but there are so many times I really felt for Ruby.  Ruby had her own quiet strength in making decisions that were the complete polar opposite of Stella.  It was fun to see the back and forth between the two girls.

As this is Stephanie's debut novel, I am looking forward to read what she writes next.


Disclosure: I bought a copy of Torn to read for my enjoyment. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.
This review is by Mel:

Mel is a bookaholic as well as loving music. She just recently moved to the Portland area from the Midwest and has been enjoying exploring the whole area, including the Coast and downtown Portland. She has been blogging at Shot in the Arm since May 2008 but has had a couple other blogs before that at various places around the web. Young Adult is her favorite genre but she loves to read most other genres including Romance, Fiction, Sci Fi and some Historical Non-Fiction. You can find her at herblog, her twitter and on Goodreads. Stop by and say hi!

3 comments:

  1. This book caught my eye on the debut list last year. I think I may have to put it on the to read list for sure now. Nice review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this book especially with the neat ending-very satisfying! I did think it was a little overpacked with themes and not all were dealt with satisfactorily but overall I liked this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bella! I really enjoyed it but without being spoilery it was SO HARD to explain the book.

    Bookworm - Thanks for stopping by! Yeah I understand what you said. I was truly surprised by the ending. That was not the way I saw it going at all!

    ReplyDelete

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.