Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door by @finneyfrock

The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door by Karen Finneyfrock
Release Date: February 21, 2013
Published by: Viking Children's
Pages: 272

That’s the day the trouble started. 
The trouble that nearly ruined my life. 
The trouble that turned me Dark. 
The trouble that begs me for revenge.


Celia Door enters her freshman year of high school with giant boots, dark eyeliner, and a thirst for revenge against Sandy Firestone, the girl who did something unspeakable to Celia last year.

But then Celia meets Drake, the cool new kid from New York City who entrusts her with his deepest, darkest secret. When Celia’s quest for justice threatens her relationship with Drake, she’s forced to decide which is sweeter: revenge or friendship.


The ending- After Celia and Drake battle through some tough issues the ending was perfect. I can't wait to see what Karen writes next. I happily recommend this book to others to read!


Celia is someone I empathize with. She is struggling to deal with how others in her class treat her. At the beginning of the school year she has put into a place a new method to see if she can avoid the issues she has faced in years past. She hasn't admitted the problems she is facing to anyone.


She meets Drake, surprised that he doesn't know he 'shouldn't' be talking to her. Celia wonders how long it will be before he catches on that she is not considered to be a desirable friend. But Drake sticks like glue.


I was definitely conflicted by how Celia was treated and how she treated others throughout the story but that's why I enjoyed it so much. I was emotionally involved but not angry at how she handled things.


While I enjoyed following Celia's thoughts, I also really enjoyed having Drake in this story. I don't know that I've read many story lines that include a character with his devotion to their friendship or even the qualities he had.




If you enjoyed this story you should read:
'The Fault in our Stars' by John Green 
'Almost Home' by Joan Bauer







Disclosure: I received an ARC of 'The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door' from the bookstore I work at. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.


This review is by Mel:

Mel is a bookaholic as well as loving music. She just recently moved to the Portland area from the Midwest and has been enjoying exploring the whole area, including the Coast and downtown Portland. She has been blogging at Shot in the Arm since May 2008 but has had a couple other blogs before that at various places around the web. Young Adult is her favorite genre but she loves to read most other genres including Romance, Fiction, Sci Fi and some Historical Non-Fiction. You can find her at her blog, her twitter and on Goodreads. Stop by and say hi!



2 comments:

  1. I think this might be my next read! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved their friendship too-it developed fast and it was strong and true. Drake and Calla were fun characters.

    ReplyDelete

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.