Sunday, March 31, 2013

Interview with Heather Vogel Frederick



Today we are happy to have Heather Vogel Frederick stop by our blog before the re-release of her amazing Spy Mice book series.  They have ALL new covers which you will see tomorrow with information about each book.  You may remember Heather's additional books: Mother-Daughter Book Club series, Once Upon a Toad, The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed, and The Education of Patience Goodspeed.  



Where were you born and where do you call home?
I was born in New Hampshire, and spent my childhood there and in the suburbs of Boston. Part of my heart will always be in New England, but Portland's been home for the past 20 years.


Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
My "new" book is actually a relaunch of my SPY MICE trilogy -- The Black Paw; For Your Paws Only; and Goldwhiskers. This was a very happy surprise from Simon & Schuster, who arranged for fabulous new covers. I had so much fun writing these stories! They're an homage of sorts to my misspent youth, far too much of which found me glued to the TV, watching such classic spy-fi shows as Mission: Impossible, Get Smart, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Avengers. And of course James Bond on the big screen (I'm still a huge fan). The books are set at the Spy Museum in Washington, D.C., and feature a 5th grader who's battling bullies at school, and a secret agent mouse who's battling the evil rats of the world. Things get fast and furr-ious when the two of them join forces... The characters and stories are dear to my heart, and I'd love to write more of them, so I have my fingers (and paws) crossed that the new covers will prove irresistible.


Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
Hands down Jane Austen. I'd be far too intimidated to say anything to her, however, given her penchant for poking fun at people in print. After all, she's the one who said, "For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"


Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
I was given an e-reader as a gift, and it's fabulous for travel, but I never reach for it when I'm at home. I much prefer real books. Hardcover or paperback, doesn't matter, just as long as I can feel it, hold it, see it, smell it, I'm happy.


Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?
Oh my goodness, Eowyn Ivey! Her debut book The Snow Child just knocked my socks off.


Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
Of course! Working at home has to have its perks.


Coffee or tea?
Tea all the way. Current fave: Teaforte's Blueberry Merlot.


Laptop or desktop for writing?
Laptop. My desk is basically just a horizontal surface for collecting piles of paper.


Hot and Spicy or Mild?
Hot and spicy, mmm mmm.


Your favorite gadget -
My iPhone. I am embarrassed by how addicted to it I've become.


What is your favorite movie?
I don't know that I have a single favorite, but two that I return to again and again are Casablanca and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I have no idea what that says about me!


I love reading Heather's replies.  I'm a tea drinker as well and love to work at home in my pajama's.   Plus I think Heather and I could go out to dinner as I'm always ordering the hottest and spiciest things on the menu! ;)  Thanks so much to Heather for stopping by today!  

You can find Heather on her Webpage and Goodreads!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this interview! My book club has read her Mother Daughter Book Club series for the last several years with the book that the club is reading. This next book club "session" we are reading the last two. Sad to see it end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lea, Thanks for stopping by! The Mother Daughter series is hugely popular and I'm glad you are enjoying them. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.