Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Poison by Bridget Zinn Event Recap



Last Saturday evening I attended the release party event for Poison by Bridget Zinn.  Sadly Bridget passed away from cancer in 2011 so she was unable to be there.  But I'm sure she was smiling the biggest smile ever as she looked down on it and saw the tremendous support everyone showed.  Many Portland area authors showed up to sign copies of the book and three of them read portions of the book.  They really did a great job in finding the best parts too!  Before the authors read, Bridget's husband Barrett went up and greeted us and thanked us for coming and sent out thanks to everyone who has done so much for the book.  He told us how happy Bridget would have been and shared a little about her and her love for celebrating. 

Sara Ryan (Empress of the the World) read the first scene where Kyra breaks in to find the potion in her old home.
 Then April Henry (Girl Stolen & The Night She Disappeared) read the river scene where Kyra first meets Fred.
And then the last one to read was Laini Taylor (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) and she read the scene with the witch.  

All the readings were wonderful and had us in giggles over the funny bits (which were a lot!) and it they were so good at reading aloud that it was easy to be immersed in this wonderful story.

Lisa Schroeder, April Henry and Inara Scott. 

After the reading we all got photos of all the authors and illustrators who signed the book.  Barrett, Bridgets husband, is also in the picture. He's to the left between Lisa Schroeder and Laini Taylor (the guy in the very front is Laini's husband, who is an amazing artist/illustrator).  It was hard to get a good picture since so many were trying to take pictures, but this is the best one I got. 

Then we all got to eat some goodies and sit around and chat.  It was super crowded so it was kind of a challenge to talk but my friend Mel (co-owner of this blog!) was there and she introduced me to a couple authors I hadn't yet met.  Emily Whitman and Amber Kizer were two I was excited to meet. Quite a few of these authors I'm already quite familiar with.  I know Lisa Schroeder very well and Laini Taylor and I are on familiar terms and I have met April Henry several times as well.  

Anyway, this is what the signed part of the book looked like.  Oh, and they sold out of books almost instantly!  I was very lucky to grab my copy!  I know this is a book I will cherish always and it deserves a place of honor on my shelves.
Pretty right?  Sorry about the poor quality photo.  I took it on my iPod and was too lazy to grab another with my camera.  

The event was wonderful and it was so heartwarming to see so many people come together for such a great event.  I know I will remember it for always.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like it was a great event. I'm glad so many authors were able to support the book and help spread the word!

    ReplyDelete

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.