Monday, August 5, 2013

Wise Young Fool by @seanbeaudoin PREVIEW

Wise Young Fool by Sean Beaudoin
Aug 6, 2013
Little, Brown Books
448 Pages

I have to start out by telling you I love the cover(s) for this book.  The cover above is the final cover and after reading the story it really is perfect!  And I love the cover on the ARC that I was given.  Shown below because that is how I pictured Ritchie rocking out every time he talked about doing so.  Either way Sean won at having amazing covers for this book.


Teen rocker Ritchie Sudden is pretty sure his life has just jumped the shark. Except he hates being called a teen, his band doesn't play rock, and "jumping the shark" is yet another dumb cliché. Part of Ritchie wants to drop everything and walk away. Especially the part that's serving ninety days in a juvenile detention center.

Telling the story of the year leading up to his arrest, Ritchie grabs readers by the throat before (politely) inviting them along for the (max-speed) ride.

Oh right you are here to check out a preview of Sean's new book.  Okay then let's get down to business....oh wait.  If you didn't check out yesterday post you should!  I posted the Wise Young Fool book trailer because it is AMAZING!  You can also check out Sean's other books via the trailers in the same post if you have not already read them.  

I love music books.  I do not mean the kind that teach you to learn an instrument, although those are helpful.  I am referring to books that are about teens playing music, forming bands, on tour after their junior or senior year in high school and all the drama that comes along with choices made at that age.  I was excited when Sean told me that his book had lyrics in it!  In fact when I was thinking about what I'd say in this preview, I was thinking about how cool it would be if Sean's book was a real music book.  

Wait a second and let me explain...

What I mean is that I wish that you could buy books that included special pages, similar to Hallmark cards where when you turn to specific pages that authors have lyrics written in, the music would PLAY for those lyrics/that song.  Would that be cool or what?  It would totally bring the book to life.  Or if the books had links to a specific webpage and every time you arrived at another song or lyrics you could go online and type in the special code for the song/video*.

I loved the back and forth between present and past each chapter.  Ritchie is telling you his story as well as journaling what happened before he ended up in a juvenile detention center**.  I have read books where this can be confusing but Sean did a great job and I always knew what part of Ritchie's life I was learning about.  Plus if you pay attention to the chapter headers you will catch on as well!  There were definitely some surprises in this book which kept me reading.

This book gave me the perfect view of a teen guy who is part of a band as well as a teen boy in a juvenile detention center.  While I could picture exactly where he was I was happy not to actually be there (in the juvenile detention center).  I don't know that I would have had the street smarts at that age to know what to do as Ritchie did.  What did he do?  Well you will have to check out Wise Young Fool to find out.  Also, wondering how he ended up in the JDC?  Sean is a brilliant evil mastermind who keeps you wondering until nearly the VERY END.  Well done Sean!  I can't wait to read Sean's next book and neither will you!

Find Sean ALL OVER THE WEB!

Want to meet Sean?  Come on down to Wordstock Festival in Portland Oct 5 & 6!

*My basis for that idea is from Patrick Carman's Skeleton Creek and Trackers books that include links and special codes for videos of action scenes from the book
**This is not a spoiler since it clearly says this in the info on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.