Thursday, November 21, 2013

Candace Reviews A Sleep So Dark by Inara Scott

A Sleep So Dark by Inara Scott
Paperback, 221 pages
Published: Oct. 25th, 2013
Source: Author (I had also bought an ebook of it, but the author sent a paperback)

Haunted…

After watching her mother die in a car accident, sixteen year-old Tandy McIntyre is plagued by violent dreams. Terrified to sleep and losing her grip on reality, she agrees to attend an experimental group retreat with Dr. Robert Gillman, an expert in lucid dreaming.

Trapped…

In the bitter cold of a Colorado winter, Tandy follows Dr. Gillman and his enigmatic son Cade as they lead a group of troubled teens into the wilderness. There, Dr. Gillman claims he will teach them to control their unconscious minds and master their dreams. But when the dreaming and the waking collide, will Tandy ever be safe again?

Don’t Fall Asleep…
This was a fantastic read!  It pulled me in immediately and was plenty mysterious. I knew some serious stuff was going to go down, but that's about it.  I had no idea what could happen and the twists and turns caught me unawares.  Once I started reading I really didn't want to stop and it could have easily been read in one sitting.

The paranormal aspect was pretty unique, and while dreaming themes have been done before, this was different from anything else I've read.   It was pretty creepy and if you're an active dreamer you might not want to read it before bed...

The secondary characters were fleshed out just enough to be able to imagine them, but without them taking over the story.  The main characters were great and I could relate and connect with them. Tandy started out good, but as the story went on and we saw her character growth and strength I loved her even more.  Initially I didn't know what to think of Cade, but as him and Tandy grow close I saw more of his good side and I really liked him.  Even though the romance was fast, I found it believable due to the situation and was on board with it. 

The only thing that I didn't love was that the ending wrapped up a bit too quickly for me.  I liked how it played out, the overall conclusion, but I would have liked to see some stuff that it skipped over.  Still, it's a minor complaint. 

It was a fast and unpredictable ride that I highly recommend!

Disclosure: I received this copy for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of childrens books. You can find her on her blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads.

1 comment:

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.