Monday, December 2, 2013

Candace Reviews Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter Vol. 1 by Nikki Jefford
ebook, 543 pages
Published March 5th, 2013 by Nikki Jefford
Source: Purchased (ages ago!)
If there is one thing eighteen-year-old Aurora Sky wants, it’s to get off the iceberg she calls home. Being kissed before she graduates wouldn't hurt either.

Then a near-fatal car wreck changes everything. Government agents step in and save Aurora’s life in exchange for her services as a vampire hunter. In Alaska. Basically she’s a glorified chew toy. All thanks to her rare blood type, which sends a vampire into temporary paralysis right before she has to finish the job… by hand.

Now Aurora’s only friends are groupies of the undead and the only boy she can think about may very well be a vampire. And if he’s a vampire, will she be forced to kill him?

***Upper Teen/New Adult series with mild language, violence, sexual situations, and blood sucking.***

I have grown to really like Nikki Jeffords writing style.  I'll admit that it took me awhile to warm up to it (not with this book but the first book of hers I had read).  Now that I'm familiar with it I have found I really like it a lot.  I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's easier reading than many and more matter of fact, not all crazy drama and angst.  Not that the characters don't act appropriately, but they don't spend all this time dwelling in this major life change.  In Aurora Sky's case it's becoming a vampire hunter after nearly dying in a car accident.  She has to come to terms with vampires existing, but she also is suppose to hunt them.  Yeah, a bit of a shock!  And she goes a bit nuts, but it doesn't go on for  so long we grow exasperated with her. 

I really love the twist to the whole vampire thing.  It's easy to understand but it's the vampire hunter aspect that's really unique and cool and I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.  I like that there's gray areas when it comes to vampires, some are horrible but some aren't so bad.

Aurora actually took me awhile to warm up to and I think it's because we barely meet her when she has this major life changing event and totally changes.  She becomes a different person, rebelling and sort of working toward finding herself.  She doesn't act the best during this transition, but I see that's it's bringing her to the person she needs to be.  It's a journey, all of us go through it in one way or another in our life, and major life changing events can certainly trigger it.  By the middle of the book or so I definitely was liking her and really warmed up to her personality.

The romance was actually pretty sweet.  I have a tendency to really like the bad boys that are really soft hearted underneath all that leather and whatnot.  Fane was a character that I really loved, especially once I got to know him better.  I am really hoping that we get to see a lot more of him in the future as I think he's my favorite part of the book.

This was a very fast read, I think my kindle said it took me two hours to read the entire thing.  It would have been easy to sit and devour in one sitting, unfortunately I have too many interruptions to pull that off, but it still didn't take long.  I like having a nice easy read that still delivers a great story and this certainly did that.

I label this YA, but it's definitely mature YA only.  She's 18 but still in high school so we have the high school setting still.  However, there's mature content in the book.  Not too bad, but it's there.

Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of childrens books. You can find her on her blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.