Thursday, April 24, 2014

Candace Reviews The Taking by @KimberlyDerting



The Taking by Kimberly Derting Series: The Taking #1
Published by Harper on April 29th, 2014 
Genres: sci-fi, young adult
Pages: 368 
Format: ARC 
Source: Amazon Vine
A flash of white light . . . and then . . . nothing.
When sixteen-year-old Kyra Agnew wakes up behind a Dumpster at the Gas ’n’ Sip, she has no memory of how she got there. With a terrible headache and a major case of déjà vu, she heads home only to discover that five years have passed . . . yet she hasn’t aged a day.
Everything else about Kyra’s old life is different. Her parents are divorced, her boyfriend, Austin, is in college and dating her best friend, and her dad has changed from an uptight neat-freak to a drunken conspiracy theorist who blames her five-year disappearance on little green men.
Confused and lost, Kyra isn’t sure how to move forward unless she uncovers the truth. With Austin gone, she turns to Tyler, Austin’s annoying kid brother, who is now seventeen and who she has a sudden undeniable attraction to. As Tyler and Kyra retrace her steps from the fateful night of her disappearance, they discover strange phenomena that no one can explain, and they begin to wonder if Kyra’s father is not as crazy as he seems. There are others like her who have been taken . . . and returned. Kyra races to find an explanation and reclaim the life she once had, but what if the life she wants back is not her own?

This review was first posted at Candace's Book Blog.
The Taking delivered something new to the YA genre (to me anyway- I certainly haven’t read everything out there) and was exactly the kind of book I was craving, even if I didn’t know it.

Characters~ Kyra was a normal girl one minute, playing softball, fighting with her dad and then POOF, she wakes up behind a garbage bin at a gas station and when she goes home she discovers she’s been gone for 5 years. Can you imagine? Waking up in the same clothes, with the same bruises on your body, etc? And everyone is saying you’ve been gone 5 years? Her family is different, her boyfriend and best friend have moved on. Her parents are ecstatic to see her, but they are different. Everyone is different. And this is hard for Kyra. I had to keep reminding myself that it was just YESTERDAY that she was experiencing a much different life. So when she threw tantrums (sort of) it was frustrating, but somewhat understandable. I would have been screaming at people because her whole life is different. She in a way has no one. But she does, her boyfriends (ex-boyfriend now) brother is all grown up and is the only one who listens to her and seems to understand her and what she’s going through.

Tyler is such a sweet guy! I loved that he listened to her and never doubted her word. He did all these big gestures and it was so sweet! I felt like I shouldn’t like him so much, but I really did.

Kyra’s dad was actually pretty great and I liked that he went to such lengths to find Kyra and was open minded. Though Kyra wasn’t as open minded as him and totally denied things, I liked that her father was willing to do so much. It’s clear that her father is going to be important in the future. Her mother was a bit frustrating and not as present. She seems to have a harder time with things, but that’s also understandable.

Romance~ Tyler is Kyra’s ex-boyfriends brother and he was young when she had seen him before she disappeared. So it seems like it would be weird for them to have something, Kyra thinks it’s weird and fights it, but Tyler doesn’t. He does all these amazing big gestures for her and listens to her. In the end he’s the most important person to her, at least that knows her situation. Things seem insta-lovey at first, and things do progress fast, but it was okay with me because of the crazy situation. It maybe went fast, but I didn’t mind that too much.

Plot~ I wouldn’t say this has a huge mystery. For me it was clear what had happened to Kyra. I don’t think it was even suppose to really be a mystery. Of course I want to know MORE and hopefully that comes. But for now that’s not important. While I had a good idea of where she went, I didn’t know all the extras. How she’s changed and now can do things. How there’s a bad side effect, etc. Learning all this was fascinating and I’m anxious for more. This is the kind of plot I’ve been wanting to read in a YA and it was so great!

I really enjoyed this book and devoured it in less than a day. Once I started reading I needed to know more. While there were some things I had figured out, there was way more that surprised me. I’m super anxious for more as this one ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. It’s a positive note one though, and has me hopeful for many things. So excited for more from this series!

Disclosure: I received this book for review purposes, all opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid or influenced in any way.

Candace is a wife and mother to two. She’s blogged at Candace’s Book Blog since November 2008. She enjoys a variety of genres including anything and everything young adult, some adult urban fantasy, a little bit of adult paranormal romance, some historical fiction and reads lots of childrens books. You can find her on her blog athttp://www.candacesbookblog.com, twitter @candacemom2two and on goodreads.


Kimberly Derting is the author of the BODY FINDER series (HarperCollins), which are as much coming-of-age romance as they are paranormal thrillers, as well as the dystopic-fantasy THE PLEDGE trilogy (Simon & Schuster). She lives in the Pacific Northwest where the gloomy weather is ideal for writing anything dark and creepy. Her three beautiful (and often mouthy) children serve as an endless source of inspiration, and often find the things they say buried in the pages of their mother’s books.

Find Kimberly on...
Her websiteHer blogFacebookGoodreadsTwitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love any and all comments except spam! All spam comments will be deleted.